Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kyra: New Master of the Team Tepley Universe

I was upstairs with Miles on Sunday morning when a shrill scream came from the main level.

“Ahh! Eww…. Oh yuck…. Honey!!,” Katy shouted.

From past experience, I assumed there was some really gross bug scurrying across the kitchen floor. Deep down I relish opportunities like this, as they allow me to put on my big boy pants.

Feeling manly as I grabbed Miles to head downstairs and save the day, she continued, “Kyra is chasing a mouse! There is a big, ugly mouse in our house!”

A mouse! The mere thought sent shivers down my spine. I’m happy to swoop in and handle a bug of any size, but a mouse has fur, and a tail, and eyes… My big boy pants turned into a skirt as the horror of sequestering this rodent over took me. (On a side note, all fingers are crossed that this not the start of a terrible new trend.)

As I quivered in the corner trying desperately to find some semblance of manliness, Katy went on to say, “well, Kyra is hunting it down, maybe she’ll handle the situation for us…”

‘Oh yea,’ I thought to myself, ‘the cat that sleeps in hiding 25 hours* a day is going to do something noble…’ As I tried to grow a pair and finally entered the living room, where the mouse was last seen, I was shocked to see Kyra standing triumphantly by her “taken care of” hunt.

Kyra: 1; Mice: 0; Troy: -50,000,000

After I mustered up a clean-up effort, well-deserved congratulations were showered upon our new hero, Kyra.

After she patrolled the main floor one last time, she gave me a look that read, “Now that’s how you take care of business. I’ll be upstairs napping if you need me, Sally.”

*Kyra could not be found for a photograph


3 comments:

becky said...

You know the old saying, where there's one there's . . .
hang tuff!

Matt said...

Very funny. Reminds me of a funny mouse-in-the-house story we had a few years back ... but I don't tell the story ('cuz it involves me screaming and jumping high into the air).

Picabo was our hero that day.

Farmerspice said...

I just want you to know that I rofl while reading this. I can just see the cat's look to you as well! You need to read Janet Adkinson's blog about her mouse hunt experience and she doesn't have a cat but I hear she owns stock in JIF.