Thursday, April 1, 2010

Our good morning...

As usual, it started with a tiny whimper. From there it grew into what sounded like the dozy, nonsensical blathering of an infant. This was followed by, “row, row, bot. Row, row, bot.”

The statement is just one shining example of how much Miles has evolved in the past few weeks. “Row Your Boat,” is currently his favorite song, with many others as a close number two. As of recently (past couple weeks or so...) he can now request it verbally. And, for better or worse, this request is almost always met on demand. File under: too cute to turn down.

Unfortunately, this request was being made at 4:00 a.m. Sorry bud, even cute has its limitations.

His request was followed by more chatter, which, as it tends to, grew into louder chatter and eventually full blown wailing. Shit.

My quick snooze dream he had fallen back asleep was shattered. He was awake. And now, so was I.

It doesn’t help that he’s currently sleeping in the same room as us. With our house on the market, rooms need to be staged in a matter of minutes and it just makes sense for him to be in our room. Adding to this, life’s been crazy lately and it seems the changes and variances from day-to-day are even catching up with Miles. He’s been waking up (way too) early a lot these days.

I crawled out of bed, stumbled over Chloe and made my way to his crib. As I picked up Mr. Bright Eyes, he was already engaging in his current favorite pastime – pointing at things and saying what sounds like, “what this?”

“It’s your crib, Miles,” I said.

“Wha’,” he said as he pointed at it again.

“Crib.”

“What this?”

“Window.”

“What this?”

“Door.”

“Wha’?”

“Door,” I repeat, as I often have to over, and over and…

I carried him downstairs and we went through our routine, which involves filling a bottle, and lately, giving him a shot of medicine, usually in the dark while holding him. Some attempts are better than others. Mostly at this stage, I’m on automatic pilot.

We sat downstairs so ‘Ma-Na’ could get some more sleep.

I flipped on the tube and zoned out to some infomercial with Miles resting between my legs, enjoying his ‘Ba-Ba.’

Finished, he tossed it to the side without care. Always makes me think of Dennis Leary’s fantasy of arrogantly tossing styrofoam cheeseburger containers out his car window….

As I sat there half-awake, tired, grumpy and a bit overwhelmed by my day ahead, Miles turned to me and said, “row, row, bot.”

I sang, we mimicked rowing and he ‘screamed’ on cue during the crocodile verse. He even put his hands to his cheeks right on time. I finished to his roaring applause. It's confirmed, Miles is the best, completely unpredictable, alarm clock ever.

1 comment: