Tuesday, March 3, 2009

D-Day for Daddy

I recently got back from my first business trip since Miles was born. Before I left, I dreaded it for weeks.


Most days I miss him by noon, which made me wonder how the hell I was going to make it four days without seeing the world’s best toothless smile in person. Not to mention, knowing my departure was going to create even more responsibility for Katy certainly didn’t help ease my anxiety about the situation.


My imaginary fears envisioned coming home to a wife in a three day old, coffee stained t-shirt, with the hair she hadn’t pulled out pointing in all directions, cursing me over a screaming baby wearing nothing but a dirty diaper….


But, since business travel is an occasional fact of life, I knew this would come, and like it or not, it was time for me to get this “first” over with.


The trip kept me quite busy, so I had little time to fret and think about what I was missing at home.


I was in Dallas, and during my last evening there, our entertainment was provided by a cowboy who was a ropin’ and bullwhippin’ expert. As a part of the fun, he pulled a young boy from the crowd and mock hogtied him. Hey, when in Rome…


The thrill of experiencing something so exciting and foreign was painted all over the kid’s face. And, for the first time I got the sense of how seeing that must have made his father feel.


As I choked up over a mock, modern day cowboy tying up some kid, I decided I’d had enough whiskey for one evening. When I got home the next day, I shared a long hug with Miles.


Oh, and Katy was well groomed and in good spirits...


1 comment:

Matt said...

Good job making it through the first trip. And very good that they made it through your absence without incident (although, a little dissappointing too, I'm sure - "Hey look. You're okay without Dad. Crap.").

Oh, and the "... and for the first time I got the sense of how seeing that must have made his father feel." Have you tried to watch "Field of Dreams" since becoming a father? Good luck.