Monday, October 6, 2008

There is nothing to see here. Step away from the pregnant woman.

Katy's due date was last Friday, October 3. As you can imagine, she's showing a wee bit.

I feel for this woman. Her birthday was last Monday and we celebrated by enjoying take out at home and watching movies. Even though the take out was from our favorite, the 112 Eatery, dining out of plastic containers lacks that certain je ne se qua of going out to celebrate in a nice restaurant. But, according to my wife, sometimes being the spectacle in a room can get old and she just didn't want to deal with it.

I've witnessed this first hand on many occasions. The other weekend as we went for take-out (notice a theme here?), Katy decided to walk into the restaurant with me. Upon entering, jaws and forks dropped simultaneously. Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster could have made it through the restaurant in a sleigh being pulled by unicorns and no one would've noticed as all eyes were glued to my very pregnant wife.

Don't get me wrong, as a man I've made more than my fair share of stupid statements around and toward pregnant women. But spending the past month with my wife makes me want to get a bullhorn and state the following as we walk in public together:
"Stop staring at the pregnant woman. There is nothing to see here, being pregnant is completely natural. Have no fear, a baby will not instantly sploosh out of her at any time, ruining your breakfast. Step away from the pregnant woman. Keep moving. There is nothing to see here. She is not a Buddha with hair; you may not touch her belly for good luck. And, to answer your question Captain Obvious, yes she is due any day now. Thank you. Move along. There is nothing to see here....."

For the love of your mom Lil' Man, any day now, please...

3 comments:

D. Wagner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D. Wagner said...

Ugh, thinking of you guys!
I remember, with still 2 or so months to go, people asking if I was having twins because I was that big. Hang in there, the end IS in sight!

Happy belated birthday to you, Katy and happy soon to be birthday to the little monster.

May you have a smooth, quick delivery and labor, Katy!!!

Unknown said...

Hang tough Katy!
Your periferal friends are thinking about you both as the 'little man' draws near...

- Sarah Shamla