Sunday, March 9, 2008

Currently

Currently, I find myself on the couch sitting next to my wife, Katy. It's a Sunday afternoon and some romantic comedy is on the TV. I don't know the name of the movie. I'd ask my wife, but she's sound asleep.

As it turns out, Katy is one of the lucky ones who gets to experience pregnancy-related nausea. Of course we're elated about being pregnant, but for the past eight weeks, beyond work, my wife has been basically confined to our couch. If you need any updates on American Idol, America's Next Top Model, etc., just let me know. I've got a great resource.

It's funny how quickly our conversations went from talking about how we need to get back to the 112 Eatery for their Lamb Scottadito to talking about whether it's Kraft Mac-n-Cheese or Campbell's Chicken Noodle she's most likely to keep down.

Don't get me wrong, being pregnant is incredible. Easy for me to say. But, I'd be lying if I wrote that we both weren't a bit surprised at how proficient we were at getting pregnant.

Again, we're incredibly fortunate for being able to get pregnant at all, much less so easily. But, it went from an idea to a reality in a few tracks of my wife's temperature changes on this thing she called a "fertility chart."

Now, something that's currently the size of a green olive, and up until about a week ago looked like a snot-ball alien baby (but is looking more like just an alien baby everyday...), is making my wife's life miserable. When we measure a good day from a bad day by how many times she pukes, pregnancy isn't making the best first impression on these first time parents...

So, in my effort to share some of our weekend together, I've now spent enough time on the couch to figure out that I've just watched Sliding Doors. When we talked about getting pregnant, I didn't see that coming.

But what's important (or the stuff I keep telling myself) is that we had our first check-up this past Tuesday, and although Katy has been sick, our pregnancy is going great and our alien baby is happy and healthy. (Motion image of a 10 week-old fetus: www.i-am-pregnant.com/pregnancy/calendar/week/10 (bouncing explains nausea)

We were even able to hear a heartbeat. Hearing the heartbeat gave me my first true, of which I've been told are many, inexplicably wonderful emotions related to the pregnancy. It completely overtook me. All I could do was grab the hand of the woman I love and share in the feeling. Sappy I know, but true.

I assume the rapid heart rate is either due to the natural process of baking up a baby, or we're actually having an alien baby. I think the doctor said something about it, but I was lost in the moment.

Katy's awake now and hungry. What will it be, Mac-n-Cheese or Jell-O?

No comments: